I absolutely LOVE the holidays. The bright lights, festive food and holiday tunes.. I love it all. Except for one thing, the pressure of getting it all, or having new things and feeling like you have to spend more than you need to. The Christmas holidays should be about being together. With the thought of people exceeding budgets I wanted to share some holiday decor items that you can easily purchase thrifted.
Last week I went into MCC in Abbotsford and created a living room and dining room display including all thrifted items. From the rugs and coffee tables to the napkin rings and candle holders, the entire space included items available for sale at MCC.
It was only in the last few weeks that I started pulling some things to create the display, and wanted to create this scene to encourage you all to see how easy it is to create a comfortable and trendy place from items that have been pre-loved.
As I worked with the team at MCC they shared with me which items are often donated and easier to find. Plus we have an awesome giveaway for you! Head to the bottom of the post to enter.
10 Holiday Decor Items to Purchase Thrifted
- Stockings | There were an abundance of stockings at MCC this year, come early December when they are first put out for the best selection. I bought plain red ones a few years back and sewed on our family names, worked perfectly to reuse and make our own.
- Faux Christmas Trees | Great if you have never gone the faux tree route and not sure what you are looking for, lots to see with or without lights already installed.
- Wreaths | Whether you want to make and decorate your own or get one pre-made and pre-loved thrifts stores have a huge assortment that save you money buying there.
- Large Ornamental Charactors |As I created my display and even incorporated a cute Santa within the china cabinet, I saw a number of other larger Christmas charactor’s. If you are decorating for a classroom, holiday show or seasonal party picking up items like this are a great way to save money from buy new for a 1 time use — hey you can always donate it back after too!
- Candle Holders | For my MCC display there was no shortage of candle holders to choose from, mix and match the different styles and designs works great too!
- Ornaments | If I had more time for my display that faux tree would have been stacked with ornaments. A lot of ornament sets donated that are great to add to your decor.
- Floral Arrangements |In the back of MCC they have their sections organized and a number of volunteers that are divided up. The floral department creates the most beautiful arrangements including that table garland pictured on the coffee table.
- Serving Dishes & Holiday Mugs | Charger plates, serving dishes, napkin rings, holiday mugs.. you name it… look at a thrift store first before buying new. These seasonal items that aren’t used daily are often handed down as others don’t see a need for them anymore.
- Nativity Scenes & Villages | These set up can take up larger space in peoples home so as families downsize or move I assume these sets often get donated, I personally have purchased a little nativity scene in the past from MCC and adore it (it’s the exact same as the one I grew up with and love that childhood reminder with the vintage set).
- Holiday Books | Kids books and cooking books are great to look for in the holiday section. Books are always a gift that keeps on giving.
I hope that as you go about your holiday shopping looking for items to add to the home you are encouraged to shop second hand. It’s always worth the first look as you truly never know what you might find.
Enter to win $500 MCC Shopping Credit
Thank you so much to MCC for partnering on this giveaway & bring me into their store to decorate for the holidays — Must be able to pickup giftcard from the Abbotsford Downtown location. Giveaway details subject to change and will end on November 20, 2018. Winner will be contacted through email provided.
**Please Note: Not all entries need to be completed below. Each item completed gives you an allotted number of entries. Good Luck!a Rafflecopter giveaway