A little while ago I mentioned that I wanted to start bringing hair tutorials to the blog and I am so excited to be putting that into action today. My hair styling tips and tricks all come from Mauve Hair Design and will consist of step by step images of how to create the look for yourself. Roxann, owner of Mauve Hair Design, styled my hair for this tutorial and teaches you how to get the half up fishtail braid. Continue below to see visual photos and read the how to do…
Half Up Fishtail Hair Tutorial Instructions:
1. CURL HAIR // start with straight, wavy or curly hair. Curly hair is recommended as it allows for more volume around your face as well as within your fishtail.
2. BACKCOMB // Separate the top of your hair while backcombing into three parts. Brush downward towards your head to create volume
3. COMB // lightly comb out through where you have backcombed to take away and straight hairs and to allow your hair to lay evenly. Show in the photos with the teeth end of the comb.
4. SPLIT // Grab the section of your hairline that is just above your hair for the half-up look. Spilt this section into two to start your fishtail.
5. FISHTAIL // Alternating from one section to the other take a small to medium piece of hair and cross over to the other section. Add that section of hair together and repeat. The smaller the amount of hair that you cross over the more detailed your fishtail will look at the end.
6. REPEAT // Continue going back and forth with small to medium pieces of hair. Always pull the pieces from the outer side of your section.
8. END FISHTAIL // When you finish your fishtail do not tie yet, hole the end with one hand.
9. MASSAGE // With one hand holding the end of the braid use the other to massage braid to help loosen the braid to desired look. This will give the visual appearance of a thicker braid.
10. PULL // Take small pieces from within the braid and pull them away from your head to also allow for a thicker messier look.
11. FINISH // Use a small rubber elastic, comes in clear or hair colour colours to finish your fishtail. You can often find these elastics at a dollar store.
12. ROCK IT