For my daughter’s birthday earlier this month I planned a majestic unicorn themed birthday party. This party was decorated with items from Canadian shops, some DIY projects from myself, and many delicious treats. One of the most popular DIY’s that I created for her party were the DIY Unicorn Party Hats that the kids got to wear throughout the party.
With a spray of gold and a pop of floral these hats were sure to grab your attention. It didn’t take long to create and the cost was next to nothing in the end. Since I already had a can of spray paint at home, I made a quick trip to the dollar store, picked up some hats, faux flowers, and I was set. Follow the instructions below to create your own Unicorn Party Hat for your next party.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: BLACK AND WHITE KITTY CAT PARTY
DIY Unicorn Party Hats Tutorial
• Party Hats
• Gold (or whichever color desired) Spray Paint
• Large Faux Flower Heads (same number as hats)
• Hot Glue gun
Easy Step by Step Directions
- Take your party hats out of the packaging and remove all of the elastic bands from the sides of the hats. Set these aside as you will need to come back to them again later.
- Set up a place that is safe to spray paint. I went outside and set up a poster board that had enough space to lay out all of my party hats. Once your hats are ready, spray each one until they are completely covered. Let this coat dry, come back to them and apply another coat to the areas that did not completely cover the underneath design. Let Dry.
- Once your hats have fully dried, you are ready to make them smaller. Undo the flaps so that the hats can be adjusted inside. curl the hats tighter so that you form a cone shape with a point at the top and a 1-1.5 inch diameter on the bottom. Use your hot glue gun to glue down the flaps and secure into place. At the same time grab the elastics that you set aside and use the hot glue gun to apply each end with hot glue to the inside bottom diameter of each hat. (Another idea I had was to purchase ribbon and glue on fancy ribbon here instead of the generic elastic, that would then tie up in a bow.)
- After glueing each of your hats to their desired size and applying the elastic band, you are ready to finish them off by adding the flowers. Cut the stems of the flowers off so that you are left with just the heads. Apply glue to the base of the flower head and place onto the hat in your preferred location. Hold flower head into place until the glue has mostly hardened. Continue until all horns are complete, check back on each of your hats to make sure that the flower is secured, apply more glue where necessary.
- Now put your DIY Unicorn Party Hats on and get the party started.
More Unicorn Party Inspiration
Unicorn Themed Birthday Party
[…] as a Waist band: Arrow and Lace Designs Sophie’s Confetti Mocs: MiniMoc Unicorn Party Hats: DIY by Creative Wife and Joyful Worker Custom Party Noise Makers: Fun Fiestas by Ili Custom Coloring Sheets: Spot of Gold Studios Mini […]
[…] The table set up contained golden unicorn party hats, which can be made by spray painting a party hat. Tutorial can be found here. […]
2 Comments on DIY Unicorn Party Hats