It is a weird feeling having to decide, C-section or VBAC. First time around, you don’t really know what to expect… the thoughts of “How do I know that I am in labour?” and “What does a contraction feel like?” are the main unknowns that floated around my head when thinking about labour. This time, it was C-Section or VBAC?
After having my labour end in an emergency C-section things were very different. I am given the choice to try natural labour again or schedule a C-section. It hasn’t been an easy decision to make, and the thought about having another C-section seemed easier and the most logical at first as it was something that I had already done and had good results. There were, however, some key turning points throughout my pregnancy that lead me to make the decision to have a VBAC.
“Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.” Christian D. Larson
1. This pregnancy I decided right off the bat that no matter what I chose I knew that I wanted to go have a midwife. I very strongly felt that having the opinion, views and support of a midwife was what I needed this time around. After hearing only positive stories from friends this decision was a big one that helped lead me to choosing to have a VBAC.
2. At my first appointment with my midwife I brought up that my biggest concern/worry was making the decision for natural labour and another C-section. I was told that I had a lot of time to make the decision and it is something that even if I did decide right away I could always change my mind.
3. When it came closer to making a decision my midwife recommended that I really listen to myself and try not to worry about making the wrong decision. We realized that I was more worried about choosing the wrong direction then actually going through either process. She suggested that for one week I tell myself that I am going to have another C-section and then for the other week tell myself that I am going to have a VBAC. The purpose of this exercise was to see how deciding each outcome sat with me.
4. After this exercise what it came down to was, I really didn’t want to know the day that my baby was going to arrive. With a scheduled C-section I would know and that just didn’t sit well with me, I didn’t want to know the date, this was the first time I was actually felt to lean more towards the VBAC side of the decision.
5. We booked an appointment with my OB and was able to have a conversation with him about the risks with having a VBAC vs. C-section specifically related to how my experience went. Since I have waited for longer then two years to get pregnant again and because my labour fully progressed the first time, I was told both by my OB and midwife that I was a really great candidate to have a successful VBAC.
6. When you have a VBAC your baby is monitored throughout your labour, if there is any sign of stress on the baby or risks that occur then the decision during labour is much more quickly decided for having a C-Section. During labour with Sophie there was about an hour of deciding whether to C-Section or not and how things were going to proceed, this was the HARDEST part of labour for me and knowing that that wouldn’t happen again was a refreshing thought.
7. Prayer and support of my family has also taken a huge part, I have felt guided encouraged and supported with whatever decision that I came to. I am choosing to have a bigger support team join the hospital room with me and feel so much more supported and prepared for this labour then I did the last.
There are so many little points and tips that I have received from so many people throughout my pregnancy that have made me feel more comfortable and confident about making the decision to go for a VBAC even beyond the seven highlighted. Yes, there are still nerves about going into labour and how everything will play out, but what is most important is that I know that with whatever the outcome, successful VBAC or not, I will know that I gave it my best shot.
If you are making the decision to have a VBAC or not I highly recommend that you talk to your OB about your decision. Try not to get stressed out about the decision and just take your time to choose, you can always change your mind.