I have a little bit of a problem, I am a major procrastinator. I honestly don’t know how it hasn’t come around to bite me in the bum more, but some how… even though I procrastinate, I can almost always still pull it together. This DIY Large Floral Wreath was something that I procrastinated making for an event, and on the day before I pulled through.
As I chatted to my mother-in-law about how I needed to create a photo backdrop for the event that I was a part of the next morning, I had an idea. We were chatting around a pile of faux flowers I picked up from the dollar store and a white sheet that I had just picked up at the thrift store.
Originally, my idea was to pull off the faux flowers from the flower strand and hot glue gun them sporadically around the white sheet. I like this idea, but it wasn’t feeling like the right thing for this event.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: DIY Hand Lettered Flower Wrappers Free Printable
I stared out into the pouring rain, fixated on a bare bush of long thin twigs. That is when I said out loud, “what if I braided a bunch of those branches into a massive oval?” She encouraged me to go for it and, I am sure glad that I did!
(This wreath was inspired by large wreaths I have seen on Treasures and Travels IG page over the holidays)
DIY Large Floral Wreath
- Garden Clippers
- Thin Wire
- Faux Flowers
- Faux Ivy
- 15 (approx) 1 metre long twigs (thin and pliable)
- On the floor lay out how you want your faux flowers to look and the size that you want your wreath.
- Start with three pieces of your branches. I staggered each one to start at a different point on the branch so that when I finished I could weave in the edges to have a smooth finish.
- As you get to the end of your braid add in one brand at a time. Where one branch ends add in another one, use the wire to hold the ends in place. Alternate the ends from thin to thick.
- Every so often lay it over top of your faux flower set up to see how close you are getting to reaching your desired size.
- Once you get it the size that you want, start weaving the branches into the starting point to complete your circle/oval.
- Use your wire to wrap around your faux flowers and ivy into place where you like.
- Hang up where you want and voila