What’s peachy, boozy and delicious all over? This Sumac Ridge Pinot Grigio Lemon Pie with Poached Peaches + Cream recipe that I’m about to share with you. Seriously, drool worthy.
A couple weeks ago my husband and I were invited to visit The Pie Shoppe in Vancouver, BC for a media night and make this exact pie. The Pie Shoppe has such a great atmosphere and we were able to connect and learn together.
We learnt that different groups come in for workshops and it’s always fun to see which types of people create the best pastry crusts. Ha! I was pleasantly impressed with both mine and James’ creations and even more impressed with the end result.
Sumac Ridge Estate Winery and The Pie Shoppe have created the ultimate collaboration just in time for Thanksgiving. This pie was hands down the BEST pie I’ve tried. When you get a taste of it, you’ll know what I’m talking about.
Thank you to both The Pie Shoppe and Sumac Ridge for letting me share this recipe today. However, if you are not interested in baking but you still want to the pie, head into The Pie Shoppe (1875 Powell St.) from Sept. 23-Oct.13 to purchase the limited edition pie. After Thanksgiving, the pie will be available for special order through The Pie Shoppe.
By: The Pie Shoppe
Sumac Ridge Pinot Grigio Lemon Pie with Poached Peaches + Cream Recipe
makes one whole 10 inch pie | serves 8 folks | prep time 2 hours
You will need:
- One 10 inch pie pan
- One small pot
- Medium Bowl
- Rolling pin
- 1 + 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cold water
- pinch of salt
- 4 medium peaches
- 1/2 cup wine (Sumac Ridge 2018 Pinot Grigio)
- Additional flavours optional: cinnamon, green cardamom, Vanilla and\or orange zest.
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon fine cornmeal
- pinch of salt
- dash of vanilla
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 5 whole eggs
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Mix pastry by hand and roll into pastry shell, crimp edges and let chill in fridge while you make poached peaches- or buy a prep made pastry shell bottom.
- Slice and pit organic Okanagan peaches with skin on into pot.
- Add peaches, wine and additional flavours into pot.
- Poach on medium heat for approximately 20 minutes until peaches are cooked.
- Take peaches out of liquid and reduce liquid by one 1/3 and then add back into peach compote.
- In medium sized bowl add lemon zest, flour, cornmeal. salt, vanilla and sugar.
- Melt butter and add to dry mixture, whisk in eggs one by one keeping custard batter smooth.
- Finish with juice and cream- whisk until smooth and then pour custard into pre-rolled pastry shell.
- Bake in oven, middle rack, 350F for 40 minutes until custard is set.
Whip Cream :
- Whisk cream and sugar until soft peaks.
- Chill until serve.