For the past year I have been contributing to local print and online magazine, I like Her Style Vancouver, and contributed this piece on how to make a floral heart garland. It’s been so amazing to see my creations in print, along with other creators that I love so much. See the full issue online here.
Over the Christmas holidays I was knee deep in Pinterest boards and exploring all the holiday feels, and that’s when I stumbled upon it, an absolutely stunning ornament made from popsicle sticks.
PS: If you don’t already follow me on Pinterest, find me here. I share mostly hair styles, home decor, recipes and party ideas.
Photography: Julie Christine Photography
That was it, popsicle sticks and a little hot glue held that ornament creation together. That’s when I started to think about what I could create with popsicle sticks and how could I bring them to life.
I loved that they are so durable, allowing you to add weight without damaging the structure. As my brain wheels started to turn I imagined up this floral heart garland with mini clothespins to hang pictures. I was onto something here.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: FREE PRINTABLE BLUSH PINK HEART
Just a quick trip to the store, a few materials later and I was focused on creating this floral heart shaped garland. I found the first heart took me the first time, deciding where to place each flower and seeing what the overall look would become as I rearranged a few times.
After that the rest was a breeze, I got into a groove and five hearts were done in no time. Each one fastened with a mini clothespin that is perfect for hanging your child’s artwork, family photos or anything else you love.
The floral heart garland was such a fun addition to a Valentine’s themed party I recently put together and after that I plan on hanging it up in my daughter’s room year round as they both love it!
How to Make a Floral Heart Shaped Banner
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
- Popsicle Sticks
- Faux Florals and Greenery (pluck the flowers off the tops so you just have the heads)
- Mini Clothespins
1. Grab four popsicles for each heart that you want to make. I made five hearts, using 20 popsicle sticks. For each heart you want to break in half 2 of the 4 popsicle sticks. These will create the arches of your heart. Hot glue gun the abrasive edges at the top to form a point. From there grab the two regular sized popsicle sticks and hot clue gun to the outsides to finish off your heart shape
2. Hot Glue Gun your Mini Clothespin onto the bottom point of your heart. Apply pressure to ensure it has a strong connection.
3. If using greenery apply that onto some areas around the heart, you can see in my final photo that I sparingly used mine just in a few places around the heart shape, not everywhere.
4. Apply florals on top of the greenery and popsicle sticks to fully cover the wood, or as desired.
5. Lay out your ribbon and place the hearts along with the desired places, allowing you to see and create a similar distance between each heart before fastening. Once arranged, hot glue gun each heart into place. Let set.
6. Hang up in your home aind some of your favorite photos and/or drawings and add attach them with the mini clothespins.
Looking for more Valentine’s inspired garlands? Check out our “How to Make a X and O banner” by clicking here.