During a work meeting recently I made myself and Rhiannon this Blueberry and Banana smoothie bowl, as you can see our kids were all over it too! It was super simple, tasted delicious (not going to lie better than I thought it would) and is filled with healthy ingredients that are great for your eyes.
Blueberries are filled with antioxidants like riboflavin and niacin, carotenoids (especially lutein and zeaxanthin), and vitamins A, B6, B9, B12, C, and E, which all contribute to healthy eyes. It’s important to make sure that you’re getting enough of these vitamins and nutrients each day to prevent age-related macular degeneration (AMD), which is the leading cause of blindness in humans. (Resource: Healthline)
A great way to make sure you consume these nutrients is by incorporating fruits and vegetables that are high in antioxidants at each meal. Blueberries are a go-to fruit, because they contain almost all of the nutrients I listed above. This Blueberry-Banana Smoothie Bowl is a delicious breakfast, lunch, or snack option to help ensure you’re keeping your eyes healthy and strong (and the rest of your body, too)!
I also added tree nuts, which are a great source of Vitamin E. Who knew a daily dose of something as delicious and simple as a Banana-Blueberry Smoothie Bowl could help reduce the risk of eye infections and other bacterial and viral illnesses?
Blueberry Banana Easy Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Makes one bowl
What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen blueberries (if you are using fresh berries, use less milk)
- 1 banana (cut in half – use half for smoothie and half for topping)
- 1/2 cup of milk
- coconut chips/shredded coconut
- dried blueberries
- tree nuts
- Mix frozen blueberries, 1/2 of a banana and milk into a blender. Blend until smooth
- Pour thick smoothie mix into a bowl (if it isn’t very thick, add more frozen blueberries)
- Top off with your favourite toppings. I’ve used Patience & Co. dried blueberries, coconut chips, tree nuts, and the other half of the banana, sliced.